Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hippie Haven Coupled with Some Legends

After spending a few days in Melbourne, Abby and I decided to head up to Queensland and visit a darling town named Byron Bay. How to describe Byron? I guess if I were forced to try I would say it is a mix of Montauk, Cape Cod, Woodstock, Ithaca, with a dash of LA. Can you picture it yet? ☺

Byron Bay is a hippie paradise that, like most new discoveries, is facing an identity crisis as it struggles to hold onto the old-school charm that is being drained by foreigners, money and new businesses (so the locals explained to me). I am aware I contributed to this scheme, however I hope my upbeat vibes made up for it and maybe even hypnotized others to think the old Byron was back for a bit.

We went for Easter weekend which like any holiday in Australia, it is heavily celebrated. Australians seem to find any reason to party and take off of work. They have a work hard, play hard mentality = my kind of people. Easter weekend also happened to be Bluesfest 2011, which made for a more happening scene and a lack of any inhibitions and worries from all.

The epic weekend was comprised of beach gatherings, tons of beats, partying, dancing from moonlight to sunlight, brown snakes on the beach (ahh, scary – they are deadly!), L I V I N G, and lots of fairy love sprinkling. It was at Byron Bay where we met a group of legendary mates that brought my holiday to an entirely new level. Since meeting the crew, I rip-roared through the rest of my time in Melbourne. They all had such great vibes and no fear. From our first meeting on the hill overlooking Main Beach in Byron Bay, I would have never foreseen spending the next seven days going out in Melbourne, road-tripping to Torquay and drinking red wine and coke (it isn’t gross, I swear), whilst listening to fabulous guitar sets as the rain spat in the background.

I also credit the group for expanding my Aussie vocabulary to include more profound words: legends, fear enough, ripping, slippery, epic, dirty dogs, getting loose, off my head, etc. Of course these words aren’t used in the proper context true to their definition, but you’ll have to stay tune/piece together via my blog to figure it out!

Beautiful time in Byron Bay and although that trip ended, we will keep on vibing…


Photobucket
Main Beach - Byron Bay

Photobucket
Main Beach - Byron Bay

Photobucket
Beautiful day in the neighborhood

Photobucket
Snakes on a Beach!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Crowd watching the snake - can you find Abby?

Photobucket


Awesome beats on the streets of Byron

Photobucket
Party in Torquay - Greggy walking the plank

Photobucket
Linda capturing the moments - it was her bon voyage party

Photobucket
Nothing good can come when a razor makes an appearance after hours and hours of drinking! Don't worry mom, I stayed far away.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Marshy's beard and part of his dreads went!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hot tub flipper beer

Photobucket
As you can tell, we had a blast! And yes, that is a bowl on my head.

Photobucket
Damage the next day

Photobucket
Surfing to cure the hangover?

Photobucket
Amazing

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
yay!

Photobucket
Getting cold as it starts to rain!

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment